What Qualifications do you need for a career in Child Care?
To become a child carer you do not need any formal qualifications, however you are unlikely to get any work nowadays without having a recognized qualification such as a CACHE NVQ in childcare.
This qualification is recognized as the industry standard and will allow you to apply for jobs as a child carer or to open your own nursery.
CACHE offers National Vocational Qualifications in Early Years Care and Education and in Play work. Having a National Vocational Qualification demonstrates to an employer that the candidate is competent in the workplace.
To gain your NVQ, you will be assessed in a place of work against a list of skills and knowledge requirements. If you can demonstrate that you have the skill, knowledge and understanding, you will be awarded an NVQ.
The skill and knowledge requirements are specified in the National Standards which have been written by a group of employers and practitioners.
NVQ's in Early Years Care and Education
NVQ's in Early Years Care and Education are offered at two levels.
- NVQ Level 2 is for nursery and playgroup assistants who work largely under supervision.
- NVQ Level 3 is for nursery nurses, nannies, classroom assistants and child minders who work largely unsupervised.
NVQ's in Play work
NVQ's in Play work are offered at three levels.
- Level 2 is for Play work assistants
- Level 3 is for Play work supervises
- Level 4 is for staff supervising several out of school facilities and with a policy responsibility.
Childcare Qualification Guidelines
Qualifications for a Nursery Assistant
Courses that can help you prepare for work as a nursery assistant include:
- CACHE Level 2 Certificate in Child Care and Education
- City & Guilds or BTEC Certificate in Children's Care, Learning and Development
- NVQ Level 2 in Children's Care, Learning and Development
Qualifications for a Nursery Nurse
Courses that can help you prepare for work as a nursery nurse include:
- CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Child Care and Education
- BTEC National Diploma in Children's Care, Learning and Development
- NVQ Level 3 in Children's Care – you will have to arrange a relevant work placement to complete.
Find a Childcare Course in your area.